Saturday, August 22, 2009

No bake cookies

This is one of my all time favorite recipes. My mom used to make these for me when I was a kid, and I was craving some all this week but every time I had the urge to make them it was like 10 at night and I am trying to not eat past 9 so I sleep better. (which is kinda ironic because as I write this it is 10:42 and I have a blackberry cobbler in the oven.)

So anyways the ingredients:
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter/margarine

1/2 cup peanut butter
dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oatmeal (Not instant!)

Put the sugar, cocoa, milk and butter in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat. Add the peanut butter, salt and vanilla and stir until the peanut butter melts. Add the oatmeal and mix until the oats are evenly coated. At this point my mom lets it sit in the pan for a few minutes so it starts to set up a bit, I am usually in too much of a hurry to eat the scraping of the pan, so I just charge right ahead. They will taste the same, just if you give it a few minutes to start setting up the edges won't run and be super thin. So, scoop out cookie sized amounts onto waxed paper or plastic wrap on your countertop, let them cool and harden, then enjoy! This batch that I made I used all-natural peanut butter, didn't wait for them to set up at all in the pan, and they didn't get thin edges.

I would make these for every church bake sale I was part of and would get rave reviews. Some people would even buy a whole plateful. They're also really easy to make in large amounts without turning on the oven. Yum Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment