Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blackberry picking

We went blackberry picking. There is a nice spot about a block away from our house that has lots of berries, and we love some free food! The picky eater was sent to get some containers for picking and was very ambitious:
Mr. eats-alot just thought the wagon was cool. We took the baby backpack, too because he is crawling and climbing and once he got bored with the wagon we needed some way to contain him. We ended up with that container on the right almost full.

Every time we go picking, the picky eater says "Let's go home now" after about 10 minutes. We usually just push through this, with encouraging him to pick berries that are at his level. The place where we go is just an empty lot with a drainage area that has cattails and other grasses growing in it. We have seen bunnies and frogs down there, plus the usual bugs and whatnot, so we will also get him to search for small critters as he gets bored. A great benefit of this is that he has started eating berries this year. Last year when we would go he would put the berries in his mouth and then spit them out, now with him being able to do some picking himself, he is eating them, too. Yay!

Once we got home, the berries went into the fridge until we could get to them. So, we have family coming into town this weekend and I wanted the house clean, but I had thrown my back out and I didn't want to vacuum. (I have gone to my chiropractor and am feeling much better, but I didn't want to push it) Hence the comment may have come from my mouth "I'll make you something yummy if you vacuum for me" and I was off making blackberry cobbler at 10 at night. (and there was some vacuuming going on)

So I searched the internet for a quick and easy recipe, and I ended up randomly choosing this one because they all seemed very similar.

3 c. blackberries
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. milk
1/4 lb. butter

Melt butter in 8 x 8 pan. Mix blackberries and 3/4 cup sugar. Mix flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and milk. Pour mixture into melted butter; spread evenly. Pour berry mixture on top. Cake should cover the berries and be golden brown when done.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 1 hour. Serve warm with milk on top or ice cream.



I cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup to mix with the blackberries because it seemed like a lot of sugar.

I made the batter as written, but used 1/4 cup butter in the dish 'cause 1/4 lb seemed like a typo.
before baking below
I baked it at 400 for 35 minutes because it was 10:15 by the time I got it in the oven. when it came out, I was kinda disappointed. This was not at all what I was hoping for. It tasted good and was ok-looking, but I was hoping for more sponge cake like stuff around the blackberries. Well, we still have plenty of berries and I can try again. Maybe it will taste better for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment